We are delighted to announce that our leisure centres will be re-opening on a phased basis from Monday, 27 July. Not all centres will reopen on this date and details of what will be available are contained in this update.
Since our centres closed their doors in March, all memberships and subscriptions have been frozen. As a thank you to our existing members, those facilities and activities that are reopening will be free to use throughout August. Following this, membership fees will be capped at £10 for September, with a view to membership packages returning to normal after our full range of facilities and services resume. During August, we are giving all members ‘global’ access, so you will be able to use any of the facilities available at Shapes Health and Leisure Club at Fenton Manor, Dimensions Leisure Centre and The Wallace Centre.
To ensure that our venues are safe for everyone, the way we operate will look and feel different. We are introducing these measures after carefully considering current guidance from the Government, Public Health England, and national governing bodies for sport and leisure sector experts including UKActive and the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity.
To ensure the safety of customers and staff the following sections outline when and how you will be able to access our facilities.
What will be available?
- Our facilities will be re-opening on a phased basis. Some centres and activities will not be available immediately. The confirmed reopening times for the following activities are listed below; Gyms: Our fitness suites at Shapes at Fenton Manor, Dimensions and The Wallace Centre will be available for existing health club members only from all centres via a free upgrade to our Global Membership fromMonday 27 July. They will be 8am-8pm Monday and Friday and Saturday and Sunday 9am-4pm, and must be pre-booked sessions, see how to do this below. Exercise and fitness classes: A programme of aerobic, relaxation and indoor cycle classes will be available to existing health club members only at Shapes at Fenton Manor, Dimensions and The Wallace Centre from Monday 3 August, and must be pre-booked sessions, see how to do this below. Swimming: From 27 July City of Stoke-on-Trent Swimming Club will resume training at Fenton Manor Sports Complex. We are working through Swim England guidance shared with us on 16 July but anticipation we will be able offer lane swimming sessions at Fenton Manor from 3 August. Educational and Private Swimming lessons will commence in September. Artificial Grass Pitches: From 3 August clubs affiliated to their National Governing Body, e.g. the Football Association will be able to book in advance Artificial Pitches at Dimensions and Northwood. Priority will be given to clubs which have previously held bookings. This includes pre-season friendlies. Indoor activities: As with swimming we are currently working through the sport specific guidance from National Government Bodies to ensure we can open our indoor facilities. We will be contacting our regular hirers to discuss their requirements. If you would like more details on the following services email or call your preferred leisure centre.
- Facilities and activities at New Horizons and Stoke-on-Trent Gymnastics Centre;
- Sports halls;
- Club and Coaching sessions;
- Health spa
- Café / bars; and
- Events and parties.
Using our centres
Before you visit
Prior to visiting one of our centres, it’s really important that you ensure that you’re in a good state of general wellbeing and have not experienced any COVID-19 style symptoms in the last 14 days. Each centre has measures in place to ensure they are COVID-19 Secure so the layout will be different to when you last visited. You must pre-book your session as follows;
Pre-booking your activities
From 8am on 23 July use the ActiveStoke App or call your preferred leisure centre to book a one hour gym session at Shapes at Fenton Manor, Dimensions and The Wallace Centre.
- Go to our online booking portal via this link, and enter your email address and PIN number if you have one already.
- If you don’t have your login details, click ‘Forgotten your PIN’. You will need both your email address and member ID (this is the number from your Energise card, without the ‘SOT’) so you can reset your PIN.
- To download the free ActiveStoke app, use one of the links below. You will then be able to make and manage bookings using your smartphone, and receive notifications on when other facilities and activities become available, whilst you’re on the go:
- Finally, to book via phone, please call your chosen centre and there will be team members on hand to book sessions and to answer your queries.
Terms of pre-booking
We expect our centre to be well used when we reopen so it is essential you let us know you can’t attend a pre-booked session. We know how uncertain things are at the moment so you only need to give us 2 hours’ notice by either cancelling your session on the ActiveStoke app or by calling your preferred leisure centre. If you do not attend two consecutive pre-booked sessions we will ask you not to book another session for 7 days. In exceptional circumstances we will review this policy.
When you arrive
Please arrive for your pre-booked activity on time (no earlier than five minutesbefore), as others may be leaving previous sessions and our teams will be cleaning areas and equipment so they’re ready for use. If you arrive more than five minutes before your session, we ask that you remain in your car.
On arrival, you will be asked to queue outside the centre. We will have queuing systems and floor markings in place to guide you, but we’d ask you to be mindful of social distancing too.
There will also be team members on hand to greet you when you arrive, direct you and answer any queries that you may have. Please ensure that you bring your membership card with you, and sign in so that we can record your visit. Please note: if you’re unable to show your membership card, you may be refused entry.
By signing in, this will enable us to monitor who is using our facilities and to support COVID-19 track-and-trace efforts.
Once inside the centre, there will be signage and markings to guide you safely around the building, and there will be audio reminders broadcast through our PA systems. The measures in place may include restrictions on accessing certain areas, and one-way systems in communal areas, corridors and stairwells.
You will be encouraged to sanitise your hands when entering the centres, and before or after your activity. Hand sanitising stations will be located throughout the buildings.
At reception points, there will be plastic screens in place. If you need to make a payment, please try to use a contactless card wherever possible (please see below for further details on membership fees and payments).
During and after your activity
We have reconfigured our gyms to accommodate the current safe distances outlined by government guidance, so equipment will be laid out differently than normal. When using equipment and participating in classes, please be sure to keep a safe distance from other users and team members. Signage around the gyms and studios will advise you on the current measures in place.
If you feel unwell at any time, please notify a team member immediately. First aid treatment will be available as usual, and staff will have appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) to administer this safely.
Once you have finished your activity, please ensure that you wipe and sanitise any equipment or items that you have used (including gym equipment, weights and mats). Collect your belongings from lockers quickly and remember that showers and changing rooms will not be available for the time being.
A very limited number of showers and changing room facilities will be available due to social distancing. Therefore, we actively encourage customers to come dressed for your activity and bring along a pre-filled drinks bottle to stay hydrated, and shower at home.
Payments, fees and parking permits
Since our centres closed their doors in March, all memberships and subscriptions have been frozen.
As a thank you to our existing members, available facilities and activities will be free to use throughout August. Following this, membership fees will be capped at £10 for September, with a view to membership packages returning to normal after our full range of facilities and services resume. During August, we are giving all members ‘global’ access, so you will be able to use any of the facilities available at Shapes Health and Leisure Club, Dimensions Leisure Centre and The Wallace Centre.
Remember, if you do need to make a payment whilst at one of our centres; please use a contactless card wherever possible.
If you have a parking permit (either pre-paid or as part of your membership), please check the expiry date to ensure that it is still valid. We will be extending any permits that lapsed during the closure period, but permit exchanges / updates will need to be requested before 30 September.
Stay up to date
As further updates become available and we look to safely resume more of our services, we will contact users in a number of ways, including email, post and SMS. You can also stay up to date by:
- Visiting our website
- Following ActiveStoke or one of our centres on Facebook (see links to individual centres below)
- Downloading the free ActiveStoke mobile app (Download for Apple / Android devices)
- Subscribing to our leisure services e-bulletin by clicking here
You can stay up to date with current updates via the following links:
- Facebook – Fenton Manor / Shapes
- Facebook – Dimensions
- Facebook – The Wallace Centre
- Facebook – New Horizons
- ActiveStoke mobile app – Apple / Android
Shapes Health and Leisure Club – 01782 233222
Dimensions Leisure Centre – 01782 233500
Wallace Centre – 01782 233555