If you are fans of The Midnight Beast or The Mighty Boosh, you should check out Stoke-on-Trent duo, The Carpet Lions. Combining music and comedy whilst embracing technology is rare round here, but TCL pull it off nicely. We managed to fit the main talent, Rob Hughes and his sidekick, James Ryan in the now infamous 10 questions chair.
- What got you into playing music? J: An unhealthy obsession with an internet parody band // R: we also wrote a song slagging off our mate
- Who was the first singer/band you saw live?
J: Rizzle Kicks // R: basshunter
- What was the first song that you bought?
J: D4L – laffy Taffy single // R: scissor sisters CD.
- Who do you think is the best frontman/fromtwoman?
J: Ricky Wilson, kaiser Chiefs // R: Matt Bellamy from Muse
- Where was the first gig you played?
First sort of gig was a high school talent show but our first real gig was at The Sugarmill, and we got paid some biiiiiiig bucks.
- What is the best lyric you have ever heard?
‘But I’ve already been to wale-‘ no. It would be ‘you ain’t gotta gas, I’m gas, fam’ from Don’t Gas Me by Dizzee Rascal. So good.
- Who came up with the name The Carpet Lions?
It was a calm day in sunny Biddulph, we, at the time, were a three-piece. There we were, just three teenage boys, sat together in a bedroom with only one other thing. A random word generator. Didn’t really know how to work it so we decided to go on a road trip, 457.6 miles later, there we were. Three boys, on the beach. Waves crashing against the sand, we look up to the sky and the clouds looked strange. They were spelling something, it read ‘lion the carpets’. That name didn’t make sense, so we jumbled the words up and got Them Carpet Lions’. The clouds weren’t happy about that and they’ve been on our case ever since, even demanding 50% of any future money we make, those water vapoury scumbags – but still, dope name so worth it.
- What song do you wish you had written?
As a duo, we strive for perfection. And the most perfect song ever written is ‘Don’t Gas Me’ by Dizzee Rascal. The only thing it’s missing is a Ukulele solo… so I guess it isn’t perfect after all… yet.
- What venue would you like to perform?
Were holding out for another sugarmill gig, the big 2021 comeback tour – after that, Alexandra palace.
- What band would you like to support?
I think we could probably do a solid opening set for Robyn, or Kanye.
- Why is Rob so amazing? (Sorry, we had to add this)
He just gets it, y’know? Often, I’ll say ‘rob, you get me?’ And he’s just like ‘yeah man, I get you’. It’s… magical?
FB – https://www.facebook.com/TheCarpetLions
TWITTER – https://twitter.com/thecarpetlions
IG – https://www.instagram.com/thecarpetlions/
YT – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf8rRsje5Dcfge7PwPj8vaQ?view_as=subscriber
SOUNDCLOUD – https://soundcloud.com/user-472989920