Anyone who listens to 6TR regularly will have heard Jay Johnson tunes played loads of times. Terry Bossons and Dan Townley even duetted on his song ‘Jigsaw Piece’ when Jay performed at The Underground last year. We sat Jay in the 10 questions chair to uncover the secrets that live within his musical mind.
1. What got you into playing music?
At school, friends played so I wanted to as well
2. Who was the first singer/band you saw live?
Metallica, MEN Arena with Machine Head supporting
3. What was the first song that you bought?
Album rather than song, Avril Lavigne’s Let Go
4. Who do you think is the best frontman/fromtwoman?
Tough one, but my fav has probably got to be Frank Turner for how he always tried to make sure everyone’s having a good time
5. Where was the first gig you played?
Hard what to class as a ‘gig’, I’d count the Rigger Open Mic Night as the first time I semi-stepped onto a stage to play music though
6. What is the best lyric you have ever heard?
A question that’ll have a different answer every time it’s asked, there’s so many for various reasons.
One that’s stood out to me over the years and always helps through rough times, though, is –
And the sun will rise / Dawn will break through the blackest night / Distant in its glow / This shall pass be still and know
If I had to choose just one line rather than several in a rhyme, I’d go with –
I can’t drown my demons, they know how to swim
7. Who has to put up with you being a musician and deserves a medal for being so supportive?
My girlfriend Kim
8. What song do you wish you had written?
Foy Vance – Guiding Light
9. What venue would you like to perform?
Given the lockdown, I really want to play at the Sugarmill again. In music generally, though, I’d give a predictable answer of Wembley, or Red Rocks in the States because they look amazing
10. What band would you like to support?
Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls
Spotify link to Jay’s latest song Unicorn Queen –
Instagram : @jayjohnsonstoke